Reigate & Banstead Borough Council is making a time limited offer to match fund every £1 of private donations into the Community Fund for Reigate & Banstead, with a further 50p between now and 31 March 2023, up to a maximum Council contribution of £13,000.
Run by volunteers and managed by the Community Foundation for Surrey (CFS), the Community Fund for Reigate & Banstead exists to improve the lives of local people.
Despite being one of the wealthiest places in England, Reigate & Banstead has unseen pockets of hardship and deprivation. Through donations from individual residents and local companies, the Fund provides support specifically to local projects that tackle need, disadvantage and community participation.
Since its launch in 2019, the Fund has given out over £60,000 in grants – helping over 22,000 people and supporting 21 vital projects, such as community sports clubs, counselling and wellbeing projects. Beneficiaries have included St Matthew’s Foodbank, The Children’s Trust and Merstham Community Facility Trust.
The key objectives of the Fund are to:
- Create a sustainable fund of community capital to support and benefit local residents, community projects and voluntary groups in the Borough of Reigate & Banstead
- Inspire local philanthropy and raise the level of giving from local residents and businesses
- Bring together any inactive trust funds or smaller funds where they can be more effective within a larger fund
- Make it easier for community and voluntary groups to access funding for both revenue and capital funding from a single source within the borough.
The Community Fund for Reigate & Banstead has a long-term endowment fund for future growth and a grants fund, from which payments are made to local charities and good causes on a regular basis. It also runs a Corporate Ambassador scheme working with local businesses in the borough to help support residents whilst also promoting the work of the business.
Cllr Rod Ashford, Executive Member for Community Partnerships said: “I am delighted to be able to provide this match funding offer to encourage local residents and businesses to donate into the Community Fund for Reigate & Banstead. The Council’s match funding will go into the Community Fund for Reigate & Banstead’s endowment fund, helping the Fund to grow and be in a strong position to provide financial support to local charities supporting Reigate & Banstead residents into the future.”
The Community Fund for Reigate & Banstead is one of the 18 area funds in Surrey administered by the Community Foundation for Surrey. Its Chief Executive, Beccy Bowden, said: “We are delighted that the Community Foundation for Surrey is supporting this fantastic fund at a time when local communities are being hit very hard. The provision of matched funding by Reigate & Banstead Borough Council is a fantastic way to maximise the impact of any donations and we can be sure that the money will be used to support those most in need in the local area.”
Anyone interested in making a donation can:
- Donate using the Community Foundation for Surrey’s online fundraising platform
- Send a cheque payable to the Community Fund for Reigate & Banstead to: Community Fund for Reigate and Banstead, c/o Community Foundation for Surrey, Suite 3, First Floor, Cleary Court, 169 Church Street East, Woking, Surrey GU21 6HJ
- Contact the Fund team via the contact section on the webpage
UK taxpayers may also be eligible for Gift Aid, helping your donation go even further.
Local businesses can find out more about becoming a Corporate Ambassador on the website.