MESSAGE FROM R&BBC -26 March 2020
Reigate and Banstead Borough Council is working hard to provide vital public services, such as rubbish collections, during the coronavirus outbreak.
Reducing or cancelling some services is helping to free up staff and other resources to focus them where they are needed most.
Council Leader, Cllr Mark Brunt, said: “We need to guarantee regular collections of the rubbish most likely to attract vermin and cause a public health hazard. For this reason, food waste and non-recyclables will be our top priority.
“The cancellation of our bulky waste collections last week and the imminent suspension of the garden waste service will allow staff and vehicles to be redeployed. We do not take these decisions lightly, but I hope people will understand that we have to be pragmatic and I hope they will support the staff carrying out these essential services.”
Garden waste service members have been contacted by the Council by email to confirm that the service will be suspended from Monday 30th March. How this will affect people’s membership, including payments, will be communicated once the details are clear.
Over the next few weeks, staff absence is expected to increase, and residents and businesses will be asked to cooperate where necessary and take note of further changes to their regular services.
Other priorities for the waste and recycling service will be to continue to collect dry mixed recycling from homes for as long as possible. Possible future changes include advising residents to put food waste in their general waste bins and stopping the collection of paper and card recycling from homes.
In the meantime, there are things that everyone can do to help keep bin collections running as smoothly as possible:
- Protect your bin crews – If your household has a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus you should place all used tissues and cleaning cloths in a plastic rubbish bag and tie it tightly when full. After 72 hours the bag should be then placed in a second bag and tied tightly before being placed in your general rubbish bin.
- Please put your bins out early and leave them out until they’ve been emptied.
- Please be considerate when parking your car on a collection day, this will help to ensure the collection vehicles can access your road.
- Reduce your waste as much as possible.
- Compact your recycling into bins as much as possible to maximise space and only put bins out when they are full.
- Start composting at home.
- If you decide to have a clear-out while you’re at home, please don’t put everything in the bin straight away. Wait until normal service resumes.
For more information and advice about your rubbish during this time, visit the Surrey Environment Partnership website.
For a full list of changes to all Council services, including the closure of our leisure centres, play areas and the Harlequin Theatre, please visit www.reigate-banstead.gov.uk/coronavirus.
Follow the Council on Twitter and Facebook for the latest information and please share with your local networks.